Wednesday 18 April 2018

I Spy... A New Postmark

I always get a little thrill when I start to collect a new country and I identify my first postmark within that country. My latest thrill came a short time ago after I received a small lot of KGV Southern Rhodesia stamps. While sorting I put this stamp aside to see if I could find the origin of the postmark. This stamp is from the second KGV definitive series issued in Southern Rhodesia between 1931 and 1937. This particular stamp, the 10d carmine and ultramarine, was first  issued in 1933.


My investigation didn't take me as long as I'd first thought. The Post Office of origin for this stamp was Gwelo. Gwelo was changed to Gweru in 1982. Gweru is located right near the city centre of Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe is what Southern Rhodesia is now called). It is the capital of the Midlands province, which is one of ten provinces of Zimbabwe. To find out more about Gweru, click HERE. That's one more Post Office identified!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment